Saturday, August 27, 2005

How to: Ubuntu and gdesklets

How to: Ubuntu and gdesklets


Gdesklets are small programs you can put on your desktop. Mostly the programs will show the status of something like cpu usage, harddisktemperature but you can also see weather(forcast), rss feeds.

These gdesklets make your desktop like the dashboard of your car, with speedgauges.

I've tried the gdesklets with synaptic, but that didn't work out. Probably the version is too old and you need a newer version. This is my working solution (found it on the Ubuntu forums):

First download:

http://sethkinast.com/ubuntu/hoary/backports/gdesklets_0.35.2-1~5.04ubp1_i386.deb


Then

http://sethkinast.com/ubuntu/hoary/backports/gdesklets-data_0.35.2-3_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i gdesklets_0.35.2-1~5.04ubp1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i gdesklets-data_0.35.2-3_all.deb

After that start gdesklets and click on the ones you like and put them on your desktop. A couple of them are not working very well, but most of them will.

I'm using 2 rss feeds, some computer usage monitors and a xmms tool. Fun and I think they look great!
The picture is my desktop, with the gdesklets I'm using.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Blake Ivey said...

Hmm, it didn't seem to work for me. I still get some sort of timeout error I believe. I tried compiling from source, and your method.

23 December, 2005 17:57  
Blogger tlinux said...

Strange, I'm using Hoary and it works fine.

18 January, 2006 19:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home