Sunday, August 07, 2005

Linux and games

Linux and games

I think the most important reason that Linux hasn't got very much users yet on the desktop (about 1% now) is mainly due to the lacking of commercial games.
There are a couple of commercial games like: Unreal, Doom, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Simcity 3000, Heroes of Might and Magic and some more. A lot of other games aren't available for Linux like GTA, Warcraft, C&C. I don't use Wine (for using Windows programs on linux), it's too much work to get the games working and often you need dll's from Windows.

I don't really mind, because I'm not a fanatic gamer. If I want to play a game, there are 100's of open source games available. Some of them are quite nice and can compete with commercial games. Some are not that appealing, but have good gameplay.

I will give my opinion of some games later in my blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on which games are worth it. I've got a bunch o' new folks fiddling with linux and I think they'd love to have some games to lure them into learning how to load source and compile it, etc.

16 August, 2005 01:02  
Blogger tlinux said...

"new folks fiddling with linux" Good job!!
I was planning a game review for this weekend, but it could be sooner. Keep an eye on the blog :)

16 August, 2005 22:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home